November 5, 2009

"Why It Matters"...

I feel like for a few years now the Lord has been challenging me to see beauty in the midst of chaos (chaos is pretty likely with 3 boys and serves as good training to add one more).

This week has been a roller coaster ride. I had a respite in the middle (my birthday)... Wes took the day off so I could have a day to do "what I wanted to do." I came home to balloons, a homemade cake and handmade cards from the boys. Then Wes and I were off to dinner with some of our closest friends...great day!

But the rest of the week has been a challenge. In the midst of a very difficult time....I sent the boys out in the yard to play. I called my mom because that's what you do when you need comfort and reassurance...as I was talking with her I noticed that Joshua and Eli were laying on the ground looking up at the clouds. Joshua was pointing out different things to Eli that he saw in the clouds.

From 2009_11_01


And it struck me...that was beauty in the midst of my chaos. It was a "small rampart for my soul" that day. I heard this song the next day as I was driving to breakfast with a friend and it put this experience to words...

Lyrics by Sara Groves
Sit with me and tell me once again
Of the story that's been told us

Of the power that will hold us
Of the beauty, of the beauty
Why it matters


Speak to me until I understand

Why our thinking and creating
Why our efforts of narrating

About the beauty, of the beauty

And why it matters


Like the statue in the park
Of this war torn town

And it's protest of the darkness

And the chaos all around

With its beauty, how it matters

How it matters


Show me the love that never fails

The compassion and attention
Midst confusion and dissention

Like small ramparts for the soul

How it matters


0 comments: