April 4, 2014

Lenten Reflection..."Worship"...

“Send me your light and your faithful care, 
let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. 
Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. 
Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
 – Psalm 43:3-5 


There have been many times in my life when I’ve struggled to worship.  Trials pressing hard from all sides slowly silence my songs of thanksgiving.  It happens gradually most of the time.  But eventually the lack of gratitude affects my countenance.  

 The Lord often uses my family to bring me out of this darkness and into worship again.  My husband sings a song at the piano late in the evening.  My oldest leading us in a family “dance party” on the drums, or when the youngest tangles himself amidst my legs while I’m making dinner and says “I want [you] to dance with me.”   They lead me into worship.  
 
I recently came across a description of this process in the song “A Lark Ascending” by the David Crowder Band.   

“And I’m trying to make you sing

From inside where you believe


Like it’s something that you need


Like it means everything


And I’m trying to make you feel


That this is for real


That life is happening


And it means everything


I’m just trying to make you sing”


When I make the choice to join my family in worship, I realize He’s teaching me…what it means to let go of ingratitude, trails and disappointments and put my hope in Him.  I sense the stress of now, begin to fade away and the truths of His word fill my heart and soul.  


Jesus help us to put our hope in you.  When we feel discouraged and downtrodden, send your light and faithful care to guide us to the place where you dwell.  Please break down the walls that prevent us from worshipping the One our soul longs for and fill us with songs of thanksgiving.

0 comments: