March 21, 2014

A Lenten Reflection by My Favorite Man...





Pain.  The word itself causes discomfort, and the sound of the word is quite annoying.  ”Pain.”  It’s likely the mere mention of the word has brought a uncomfortable situation or event to mind, as if it was waiting to be released to plague you again.  My apologies.  Maybe we should pontificate the word pleasure instead.  Ah, “Pleasure”.  It just rolls off the tongue like candy.  Ironically, without pain, pleasure would be elusive and wholly incomplete.  Without the experience and awareness of something broken and missing, wholeness has no meaning, like candy with no flavor; we know it should taste good, we even want it to taste good.  But it doesn’t taste at all.



While I generally choose to avoid painful situations myself, I have grown to appreciate the value of unrest and discomfort, producing a longing for something better.  A number of years ago I injured my back while playing with my children.  I didn’t realize how good my back felt, until it didn’t.  I didn’t realize how healthy I was, until I wasn’t.  My children didn’t realize how fun dad was, until he wasn’t.  Put another way, without the presence of pain we are not apt to recognize and appreciate it’s absence.  Otherwise known as wholeness or goodness.  I don’t mean to trivialize deep wounds that may have been inflicted upon you, pain so deep and wretched few could comprehend.  If you carry that kind of pain, may God grant you rest and peace.


Pain is always a symptom of something else, not the problem itself.   Broken relationships, difficult physical conditions, unattended longings.  They all produce this feeling of pain and drive a desire inside us for something better.  Paul describes Jesus as the man that “God raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.”  (Acts 2:24)  The “pains of death”.  It’s quite possible Paul was indicating that Jesus’ death was painful, or that death in general is painful.  It’s also possible that Paul was relating pain and death, as if they are similar in nature.  In either case, he goes on to say it is not possible for Jesus to be constrained by either pain or death.  Whatever ails you today, it cannot constrain Jesus working in you.  May He use your pain, my pain, to help us see, taste and long for something better.



Lord, give us eyes to see your goodness.  Help us embrace our pain, and somehow better know pleasure as a result.  Thank you for sending Jesus, who could not be constrained by pain and death.  Help me trust Him with my pain, and believe He is able to meet me in it, and somehow overcome it as well. 

~Wes Mace

0 comments: