May 27, 2011

LIfe is Adventurous...

So last night we had plans to have a few of our friends from the Worship Team over to pick crabs. Joshua was so excited about the "band guys" coming over.
We gathered around the table to pray and Joshua volunteered right away.

"Everyone hold hands...Dear Jesus, thank you that the band guys could come over for dinner, let us have fun and play some cool beats like 'ba, da, dum, da, da dum' (as he patted his hands on the table), in Jesus name, Amen."

Our guests at the table started talking about how the prayer was so sweet. I think Mr. BJ may have even said, "I just may use him in the service this weekend."
Mr. Danny proceeded to open the box of crabs and pour them onto the table...everyone grabbed one and started picking.
Joshua said "They stink!" I glanced at him and noticed that he was trying to look away so he didn't see the crabs. I've seen this face before...(like when he saw the really ripe banana on the counter top or when he was on a field trip and sat too close to the potter's wheel) but it was too late. Joshua proceeded to throw up onto the table just to the left of the crabs.
I grabbed him and quickly took him outside while Wes cleaned up the table and began explaining to our guests that he has a really weak stomach and a really strong gag reflex. Joshua emptied all of his stomach contents into the grass in the backyard and I told him I thought it may be a good idea if he took a shower. He said, "Let's go in a different door." "Why?" "So I don't have to see the crabs." Ok, buddy.
I remember catching their eyes as we passed through the back way and saying "Life is sure adventurous!" (Not realizing that this was just the beginning)

So I take him upstairs and put him in the shower and come back down stairs to join our guests. We continue to pick and eat crabs and every once in a while we hear Joshua singing in the shower. Again, everyone was commenting on how "cool Joshua was." Wes shared about his Stuffed Animal Daycare and they were even more amazed. As they were talking I began to hear the sound of water and thought...oh, no I forgot to turn the corn pot off and it's boiling over. I turn around and realize it's not the corn pot but water coming through the ceiling from the upstairs bathroom. Wes goes running upstairs and I run in to get towels to mop up the mess.

You see Joshua likes showers but he really likes a bath/shower better...he sits on the drain and lets the tub fill up while the shower is still running so the tub had begun to overflow and pour downstairs into the kitchen. Wes and I decide it's best to get everyone in bed and then return to our guests.

Wes helps everyone through the nightly routine while I go to clean up the bathroom. I look into the tub and stand perplexed...I know Joshua did not have throw up on him...what could that possibly be in the tub?...so I proceed to try and clean it out (I later found out that it was Old Bay seasoning that Wes had on his hands when he reached in to pull Joshua out of the tub). The problem was I didn't realize that in Wes' haste in stopping the overflow he didn't turn the shower off so I doused my head in water. As I look in the mirror I remember thinking, now I have to go back downstairs with my hair soaking wet and continue on with dinner?
Finally, everyone was down and it was time to rejoin our guests. I walk downstairs and explain why I look the way I do and we continue on with dinner. Not too long after this we hear Joshua at the top of the steps and he says "Can you send our guests up one, by one so I can tell them goodnight?" So they all went up to grant his request...we were pretty sure of the reason why he didn't want to come down the steps to tell them goodnight.

It's times like these where I learn how good it feels to laugh...



2 comments:

Susanne said...

Jenna, oh my goodness what I funny story. I know you will tell that store years to come. I love your family, they are just so full of life :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Susanne...yes, it will be one of the many I'm sure. Blessings to you and your family...thanks for stopping by!