February 5, 2013

"When in Rome...

do as the Romans do."  Yes, I've heard it before but I have to confess it's really difficult to be the odd "man" out.  




You see...not only am I the only girl in our house of 6 but I am also the only Steelers fan.  Yes, you read that right.  I grew up in Pennsylvania cheering on the black and gold with my family.  In fact, I used my grandfather's Mean Joe Greene jersey as a nightgown.

One summer, I waited on Dan Rooney at JB's Steakhouse and got a press pass to training camp.  Those were the days of Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene and Levon Kirkland.  I had a blast and came home so sunburnt that I didn't leave the couch for a few days.

After 15 years in Baltimore and 4 boys later...my husband is an avid Ravens fan and the boys love their daddy so guess what...I'm odd "man" out again!  Wes has tried many times to lovingly push me to the dark side but I haven't budged.  

But something happened after the game on Sunday evening when I heard the Mayor of Baltimore say that the victory parade/party was scheduled for Tuesday.  I thought...It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for the boys (especially for the Ravens...oops sorry that's my competitive nature again).  I said to Wes "we should take the boys."  I kept thinking if we had lived in Pittsburgh when they won the Super Bowl (any of the 6 times that they did) I would have loved to have been there!

Long story short...Wes was busy with meetings and couldn't get away from the office.  I decided to figure out a way to take the boys...I frantically tried to find a sitter for Will to no avail.  I called a friend and encouraged her to bring her two boys along (for help and her moral support).  

So together we devised a plan and went on a wonderful adventure that I'm sure we will all remember for a long, long time.  Because seeing the happiness on their face when the Ravens arrived was priceless...not to mention Will (2) who joined in every chant erupting from the crowd.




















After Wes rescued us from the delayed Light Rail train he asks me..."So now are you a Ravens fan?"  

"No babe...but every once in a while when I'm in Rome...I'll do as the Romans do...because I love you guys!"

4 comments:

lisaerdman said...

SUCH incredible pics! you were mom of the year for doing that!!!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Lisa...it was a fun adventure!

Unknown said...

There you go. Unexpected tears in my eyes, as i read this while casey is putting Mae to bed. I will keep this one for myself.
Go Ravens, anyway!
Love, Paolo

Unknown said...

:) Paolo!